§ Architecture Cheat Sheet
I have an interest in architecture and how it might relate to software.
While the two are quite different, I feel that a deep look at both could
be useful for both discplines. I think my favourite building to date
has been fallingwater . Here are
things on architecture I wish to read and/or have read:
- The way buildings learn.
- The sciences of the artifical.
- The timeless way of building.
- Why you hate contemporary architecture : An article that provides points of view and a broad set of link on further reading to how architecture reached the 'contemporary', almost 'uncomfortable' style it has today. Some choice quotes:
There was a good reason why, historically, religious architecture has been the most concerned with beauty for beauty’s sake; the more time is spent elegantly decorating a cathedral, the more it serves its intended function of celebrating God’s glory, whereas the more time is spent decorating an office building, the less money will be left over for the developer.
- The Geography of Nowhere: The Rise and Decline of America's Man-Made Landscape
- This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here. Design to ward off people for nuclear waste.
Beauty is kind of “objective” in this sense, in that something either does or doesn’t give you pleasure.